Wills & Probate


Richmond lawyer James H. Wilson, Jr., helps with all aspects of Wills and Probate to clients located in the Richmond, Virginia area, including Chesterfield County, Hanover County, Henrico County or the City of Richmond. A will is usually the most important document in planning your estate. You should make or update your will if you own property, have children, wish to give a particular item to a friend or relative, or have recently been married or divorced. Estate-planning attorney James H. Wilson, Jr., can create a new will for you or help you amend an existing will so you can address a change in your circumstances and provide for the distribution of your property according to your wishes.

You should also consider the desirability of creating a legal document that sets forth your wishes and directives regarding your healthcare and finances. A durable power of attorney can allow someone to act on your behalf while you are incapacitated. Although a durable power of attorney ceases to be effective upon your death and is not a substitute for a will, it is an invaluable device in planning your finances. A medical power of attorney can appoint someone to make medical decisions on your behalf. A living will or advance medical directive can set forth your wishes concerning medical care and end of life decisions. Richmond lawyer James H. Wilson, Jr., can help you by preparing medical powers of attorney, living wills, and financial powers of attorney and appointment that will help you, your loved ones and the people who provide care to you if you should become seriously ill or incapacitated.


Probate is the process of proving the validity of a will or overseeing the administration of an estate. When someone dies, either with or without leaving a will, there are a number of tasks to be completed in administering the estate of the decedent: the identification, inventory and appraisal of property; transferring title to property, paying debts, completing tax forms. Transferring property when someone dies may present particular challenges without the assistance of a probate lawyer. You may wish to focus on taking care of your family during its time of loss, rather than attend to the challenges of putting an estate through probate.

If you live in the Richmond, Virginia area and have questions relating to your will or other probate matters, or you are interesting in learning more about establishing a conservatorship or a probate guardianship, do not hesitate to contact Richmond lawyer James H. Wilson, Jr., to discuss your situation and the options available to you in handling your needs.

To set up a free consultation to discuss estate planning and wills, contact me online or call me at 804.740.6464.

Contact Us

  1. 1 Free Consultation
  2. 2 Reasonable Fees
  3. 3 Real Solutions to Real Problems

Fill out the contact form or call us at 804.740.6464 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message