Child Support Obligations FAQ – James H. Wilson Law Firm

At James H. Wilson, we understand that child support can be a complex and sensitive topic. Below are clear responses to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding a parent’s obligation to pay child support.

Who Is Responsible for Paying Child Support if They Were Never Married to the Other Parent?

Regardless of marital status, a father has a responsibility to provide child support for his child. In situations where parents are unmarried, establishing legal paternity is crucial. Once paternity is acknowledged either by the father’s admission or an agreement between the parents, the father is then legally obligated to support the child. Additionally, if an unmarried man brings the child into his home and treats the child as his own, he may be recognized as the presumed father and is thus responsible for child support.

Are Stepparents Required To Provide Financial Support for Their Stepchildren?

Stepparents are not legally mandated to pay child support for stepchildren unless they have formally adopted the children.

Am I Still Obligated To Pay Child Support if I Am Being Denied Access to My Children?

Yes, child support and visitation rights are separate issues legally. Every parent is required to financially support their children, even if visitation disputes arise. Only in rare instances, such as the custodial parent vanishing for an extended period which prevents visitation, might the obligation to pay be temporarily questioned. If you’re experiencing visitation interference, it’s crucial to seek legal enforcement of your rights, not to cease child support payments. For assistance with such matters, contact James H. Wilson at 804.740.6464.

What Is the Duration of a Parent’s Responsibility To Pay Child Support?

A parent is typically expected to provide financial support for their child until any of the following occur:

  • The child reaches the age of majority or beyond, depending on their needs or educational status.
  • The child enters active duty in the military.
  • The parent’s rights and duties end, such as when a child is legally adopted by another party.
  • The child achieves legal emancipation, which signifies independence from parental control and financial responsibility.

Do Fathers Have the Same Rights to Child Support As Mothers?

Absolutely. Any custodial parent, whether father or mother, is entitled to seek child support from the non-custodial parent. Gender does not affect the legal obligation to support one’s children.

If you have further questions or need advice regarding child support matters, please do not hesitate to contact James H. Wilson at 804.740.6464. We are dedicated to ensuring that both the rights and responsibilities of parents are upheld for the well-being of their children.

Contact Us

  1. 1 Free Consultation
  2. 2 Reasonable Fees
  3. 3 Real Solutions to Real Problems

Fill out the contact form or call us at 804.740.6464 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message