Child Support Enforcement: Your Questions Answered

At James H. Wilson Law Firm, we understand that dealing with child support issues can be stressful and complicated. Here, we address some of the most common questions concerning the enforcement of child support orders to help you navigate through these challenges.

What Should I Do If My Ex-Spouse Won’t Pay Court-Ordered Child Support?

Under the Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984, you are entitled to assistance from district or state’s attorneys to collect overdue child support from your ex-partner. This may involve the D.A. serving your ex with legal papers to compel them to arrange a payment plan. Failure to comply could result in jail time.

There are also federal enforcement tools such as tax refund interceptions, wage garnishments, property seizure, license suspensions (business, occupational, or driver’s), and as a last resort, contempt of court that may lead to imprisonment. However, the court typically prefers solutions that allow the paying party to continue working to earn the necessary income for support payments.

For comprehensive child support enforcement assistance, visit the National Child Support Enforcement Association at, or call us at James H. Wilson at 804.740.6464 for personalized guidance.

How Can I Enforce Child Support If My Ex-Husband Moves to Another State?

Interstate child support enforcement is handled under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA). You have several options to maintain child support orders:

  1. Request help from your state court if it has jurisdiction over your ex.
  2. Have your state forward the child support order to your ex’s residing state for enforcement.
  3. Directly file a request for enforcement in the state where your ex lives.
  4. Contact your ex’s employer to withhold child support from their paycheck.

The Child Support Recovery Act (CSRA) and the Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act further criminalize the willful refusal to pay interstate child support. For more information on how to proceed with interstate child support enforcement, get in touch with James H. Wilson at 804.740.6464.

What Are the Consequences for Falling Behind on Child Support Payments?

Judges are strict about enforcing child support and collecting overdue payments, known as arrearages. While it’s possible to request a reduction of future payments, typically, arrearages must be paid in full. If financial circumstances change, it’s crucial to seek a modification immediately to avoid accumulating arrearages.

Can Unemployment Excuse Me from Paying Child Support Debt?

Unfortunately, job loss doesn’t automatically negate your obligation to pay child support. It’s crucial to petition for a temporary decrease in child support payments if your financial situation worsens. Judges cannot retroactively modify support amounts, so proactive measures are necessary.

Is It Possible to Discharge Child Support Arrearages Through Bankruptcy?

Child support obligations remain intact regardless of bankruptcy filings. These debts are non-dischargeable due to public policy, which aims to protect the well-being of the children involved.

Can I File for Child Support Retrospectively?

Judges generally enforce child support orders from the date of filing forward. If you’ve separated from your spouse, it’s important to file for child support promptly to avoid missing out on potential payments.

Can I Seek Child Support If I’m Still Living with My Spouse?

Courts won’t intervene in household financial divisions unless the children face abuse or neglect. While separation remains a precondition for child support claims, you’re entitled to necessary provisions including food, shelter, clothing, and education.

For clarity on how these matters pertain to your individual case, and to discuss your child support concerns further, reach out to our team at James H. Wilson Law Firm at 804.740.6464. We’re here to offer you legal counsel and advocacy in enforcing your child support orders.

Contact Us

  1. 1 Free Consultation
  2. 2 Reasonable Fees
  3. 3 Real Solutions to Real Problems

Fill out the contact form or call us at 804.740.6464 to schedule your free consultation.

Leave Us a Message